Based on the dose of beta hCG and the value of beta hCG, you will know which week of pregnancy we are in and whether all is well
Beta hCg increases during the course of pregnancy
Let’s look at a subject which is very intriguing and important to me in addition to the numerous questions I get on the forum regarding the subject: beta- hCG during pregnancy. Let’s examine how these hormones increase throughout the different weeks of pregnancy, and what they reveal about the progression of gestation.
What are beta hCGs?
The hormone found only during the womb (and in a few very specific and rare cancers that but aren’t the focus of our discussion this moment) Its full name is human chorionic beta-gonadotropin.
- The process begins in the very beginning of the pregnancy through a specific tissue known as trophoblast. From it, the placenta, or exchange organ (of oxygen and nutrients) between the mother and the child will grow over the course of weeks. It is the urine or blood dose of this hormone that give the positive results for the test to determine pregnancy. I use the words haematic and urinary because the same hormone may be detected in both but with different levels and features.
- The determination of beta-hCg levels in the urine by the usual test can be slightly more difficult in the beginning of pregnancy since its concentration is highly variable dependent on, for instance the time of day, the distance to the last urination, and also depending on the quantity of fluids that are taken to make the urine less diluted.
- The presence of the hormone in blood is, in fact, more consistent since it is not affected by external elements and therefore can be detected even before it is needed and is, in addition, more trustworthy.
Dosage when to take? Beta hCG, when should you take them?
Depending on the method selected depending on the method chosen, you could have the possibility of two distinct times. But my suggestion is to keep your period until it isn’t present. For instance, in the event that you are having a normal cycle, and at the end of your 28th day, there is no menstrual flow and on the 29th day it’s possible to continue with the dosage of blood. In actual blood, at the very least, in the majority of cases, beta-hcg can also be seen in a few days earlier, in the period between 25-26 days of the cycle. However, to prevent false negatives, I recommend to wait.
For the amount of urination in the urine, my recommendation is to hold off for at least a couple of days. This means, you should allow for 4 to 5 days for menstrual inactivity and then carry out the test at the beginning of the day after the first urine after it’s been inside the bladder at minimum three hours.
Thus, regardless of the method is chosen the test will provide results in a very short period of time (within days for the testing) and very brief times (a couple of minutes to perform the test). These results must be considered as a preliminary value that should be verified and reviewed when the doctor or obstetrician requires the test.
Beta hCG during week 4
If we consider that in order for the test to be conducted, we must be patient and wait for the absence of menstrual flow, we’ll get the dosage at approximately 4 gestational weeks starting from the day of the menstrual cycle (always refers to a hypothetical cycle). The test is considered to be an affirmative test in the event that the dosage is greater than the level of 10 mU/ml (the magnitude refers to millilitres per milliliter of urine or blood).
Modern urine tests that are based on this concept are able to determine the approximate week of gestation you’re notifying it on the screen. Similar principles apply to blood doses and the results will also include the values of reference for the gestational phase. When the test is conducted, i.e. at the gestational week of 4 the value should have increased to between 2160 and 822640.
Beta hCG negative
What happens if the measurement is lower than 10? Be aware of this particular instance, we’re discussing regular cycles, where ovulation likely occurred between days 14 between day 14 and sixteen of your cycle. If the cycles are not regular or just longer, the words spoken prior needs to be changed to a degree. In reality, if it occurs later in the cycle it will be more apparent and the determination of the beta-hcg hormone the urine and blood may be delayed.
So, the time of the test has to be tailored to the individual circumstances. Perhaps what I would suggest is to test the first dosage and if it’s negative, then wait 5-6 days and then repeat the dosage in order to determine the situation. The thing I can tell you is that in the case of an ongoing pregnancy, it is virtually not possible for the test results to come back negative. There are some variations in dosages and timings dependent on the nature of fertilization and cycle, but it’s not guaranteed to be negative.
Beta HCG values
The pattern of the value of Beta hCG is the average rise of this kind which doubles every 2 days for values of up one hundred and a half IU (international milli-units for milliliter) which doubles every 3 days when values range of 1200 IU up to 6000 IU. The rate doubles every 4 days for numbers that exceed 6000 IIU. If, between one test and the next, the increase of values is significant, it may be twins, however every pregnancy is distinct and a high number can in any event indicate the gestation of just one embryo.
The first number represents the week during pregnancy. The second number is the lowest value, and the final number is a reference to the highest betas value:
Beta hCG, with low values
It is the determination of whether a high or low value for the hormone is made in regard to the standard reference values and is determined by the gestational period, i.e. the value could be low for a particular week but it is within the norm for the preceding week. I came up with this idea due to the fact that a lot of times, the information that is gathered by the beta-hCG dosage is considered to be an absolute indicator of the progression of pregnancy. It must be linked to menstrual cycle and ultrasound results.
- Let’s consider our four-week dose for instance. If it is less than 2160, it is likely that the pregnancy isn’t moving forward. But when the conception happened later than what was expected (and it is possible). it’s normal to have a lower value and that’s because it’s smaller.
- Another instance where it’s difficult to establish whether the levels are low. This is the case with surgically assisted fertilisation (IVF, ICSI, IUI etc.). In this case, we know the date when conception took place, but we do not know when the body will recognise the pregnancy and begin production of beta-hCG. The results in these cases are less than the normal range. For instance, a tiny study revealed that when it came to IVF following 14 days after the transfer of embryos (therefore around 4.) values between 300 and 600 indicated 50% of the ongoing pregnancies.
- There are a few unfortunate reasons that beta-hcg may be low and these include: spontaneous abortion and detention and extrauterine or ectopic pregnancy.In the first scenario, it occurs that a pregnancy that could have started hasn’t continued which is why there is no way to boost the value and, in the end, it will shrink and then halve in the space of 24 to 48 hours, until it’s completely reduced to zero.
- The situation of deemed abortion (i.e. where the embryo or some of the that make up the chamber for gestation do not get removed despite the absence any heartbeat) is the most common scenario in which beta-hCG is in the body, but without an normal growth. In reality, the simple presence of a portion of the pregnant tissue contributes to the continual creation of hormone but it is not enough to confirm that pregnancy proceeding properly. The confirmation will be made by means of an ultrasound to detect the remaining tissue.
The twin pregnancy and beta hCG
The most frequent reason for an over-normal dose of beta-hcg is because of twins. The body’s trophoblast is more likely to produce a higher quantity of beta-hCG to enable it to build the necessary components for every baby. Therefore, values that exceed 823640 at the age of 4 weeks shouldn’t be a surprise when there are two or more infants. The more kids there are the greater the likelihood that beta-hcg levels are higher in relation to gestational age.
Beta hCG is a hormone that can be found in an Ectopic or an ectopic pregnancy
The ectopic pregnancy refers to an unplanned pregnancy that occurs in a different position than the normal one or at different locations away from the uterus. It is usually called an extrauterine pregnancy, which is situated within the fallopian tubes or, in all cases, inside the pelvis. It is different from an ectopic pregnancy occurs within the abdomen. This second type of pregnancy is not uncommon, while the first is simpler. The causes are diverse and aren’t all well-known. for instance, there might be obstruction of the uterus’s entry point or the reason to the reason why fertilized eggs do not make it through.
This is a problem which should not be ignored as it can put women’s lives in danger as the pregnancy process is designed to grow inside the uterus. There it could cause damage to the mucosa and implant, as well as expand. However, in other locations this can’t be the case because it triggers extreme inflammation and bleeding that causes hemorrhages.
In this scenario, beta-hCG growth will be slow as the trophoblasts does not have the capacity to develop and it will always be below the normal range compared to the gestational time. In normal circumstances, if there’s just the possibility of Ectopic pregnancies, an ultrasound is performed and removal are immediately performed to prevent the dangers I have mentioned earlier.
Beta hCG – Old
High beta-hCG doses are also possible. There is an alternative in which beta-hCG may be extremely high. In addition to the fact that, in the event that the gestational time is under-estimated (i.e. when it is believed that the gestational week is less than it really is) the amount found to exceed the normal and I will look at the two most frequent situations in which may be increased.
- as we’ve discovered as we have seen, one possible cause of the high Beta value could be the ongoing pregnancy of twins.
- A different, less pleasant situation is known as the hydatiform mola also known as the vesicular mola. It’s an unusual kind of pregnancy in which fertilization takes place, but the embryo does not develop, but instead, vesicles develop into a cluster. It is evident that the pregnancy fails however the beta-hcg will be produced and recognized. The presence of beta-hCG higher than 100,000 after 11 days after conception could cause suspicion for the existence of a vasicular mole. The suspicion of diagnosis will be confirmed with an ultrasound, which will reveal the presence of vesicles that surround the embryo, and for this reason we’ll proceed by scraping.
In closing the main thing I would like to stress is that the dose of beta-hcg hormone is surely the first step in understanding when you are expecting. From then on, it could be an important measure to assess the progress of your pregnancy, but it will not be the sole one. We’ve seen a variety of cases where beta-hCG fluctuates either way and it is therefore important to determine the correlation between the value and the results of the other instrumental tests, including ultrasound.