Are you facing the problem of hair thinning or balding? Well, you are not alone because a majority of the world’s population experiences this issue. Fortunately, there are several methods to help you control hair loss. Some of those treatment methods use home remedies, some use medications, some use supplementation, and some are in-office medical treatments. Among those methods, hair transplantation in Dubai is one of the most viable solutions.
This article briefly describes the hair transplant procedure and different hair transplant techniques used in this treatment.
What is a hair transplant?
A hair transplant is a technique in which the dermatologist or surgeon moves hair from the backside of the head to the bald area. The bald area is known as the recipient site. On the other hand, the area from where hair is taken out is called the donor site.
The surgeon will perform a hair transplant in a medical office. First, he will apply local anesthesia to keep the procedure painless for the patient. Then, he will start with the actual transplantation procedure once the anesthesia comes into effect.
A hair transplant is the most suitable treatment for pattern baldness, which is a significant cause of hair loss. Other reasons for hair loss are:
- Emotional distress
- Hormonal imbalance
An Overview of Hair Transplant Techniques?
During hair transplant treatment, the surgeon will obtain hair follicles for the transplantation procedure. The two main techniques to extract hair follicles are follicular unit extraction (FUE) and follicular unit transplantation (FUT).
Here is an overview of both FUE and FUT Hair Transplant Techniques.
Follicular unit extraction (FUE)
In an FUE hair transplant technique, a surgeon will extract individual hair follicles from the donor site and insert them into the bald area. As a result, the hair in the new area grows thicker. The FUE hair transplant is an ideal treatment for people facing the issue of baldness or hair thinning.
The FUE transplant is a more popular method compared to the older FUT method. However, the most critical prerequisite for an FUE transplant is the donor site must have healthy hair.
Overview of FUE procedure
Here is an overview of the procedure involved in an FUE hair transplant.
- First off, the surgeon will shave down the head, including the donor and recipient sites.
- Then, they will extract follicles from the donor area using a micro-punch tool.
- After that, they will create multiple incisions in the recipient area using a sharp tool or needle. These incisions will house the extracted follicles.
- Finally, they will insert follicles into the incisions and apply a bandage to the treated area.
The FUE hair transplant is a safe procedure with minimal side effects. Although there will be tiny scars in the area where hair follicles were taken out, those scars will fade in a few days.
While the recovery after an FUE hair transplant is quick, be sure to stay in touch with your dermatologist to avoid the risks of complications.
Furthermore, an advanced version of the FUE hair transplant is NeoGraft hair restoration, and it is a semi-automated procedure. In fact, surgeons tout NeoGraft as a more effective and better method than all other FUE procedures.
Follicular unit transplantation (FUT)
During FUT surgery, the surgeon cuts an entire strip of the skin from the backside of the head. Then, they extract hair follicles from that strip. These hair follicles are inserted into the bald areas of the scalp. This surgery is an ideal treatment for receding hairlines.
A FUT hair transplant in Dubai is generally a quicker procedure compared to an FUE method. Although follicular unit transplantation is a surgical procedure, it is minimally invasive. Thus, a patient doesn’t usually need general anesthesia for this treatment.
What you can expect from a FUT procedure?
Here is what you can expect from a FUT hair transplant technique.
- Firstly, the surgeon will mark the desired hairline and area of hair extraction. Because it is a less invasive procedure, the surgeon will go for local anesthesia. However, you can discuss other sedative options too.
- Then, they will trim the hair at the donor site to about two millimeters.
- After that, they will cut a strip out from the donor area to use its hair follicles as a graft.
- An expert will get all hair follicles out of the strip and prep them for transplantation.
- Then, the surgeon will suture the cut to close the scalp.
- They will then insert hair follicles into the bald area of the head.
- Finally, they will apply bandages to the scalp.
There is a minimal risk of side effects after a FUT hair transplant technique, thanks to the scalp’s ability to heal quickly. In fact, infection occurs in less than one percent of the recipients only.
However, the FUT procedure leaves a scar at the donor site. Although this scar is permanent, it fades with time. The scar size depends on the number of hair follicles extracted during the surgical procedure.
Have a Look: Basic side effects of hair transplant surgery
Both FUE and FUT are acclaimed Hair Transplant Techniques to help people experiencing pattern baldness. While both these techniques are safe, it is necessary to discuss them with your hair transplant surgeon to make sure you get the most suitable treatment.